Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Northern Exposure

I was such a huge fan of the series, "Northern Exposure," back in the day. Specifically, 1990 to 1995. A mere 27 years ago. I was such a huge fan that I was fully prepared to move to Oregon, but too much was happening in my life back then. I faithfully watched it, back when "real" television was affordable and the "movie" channels were not. It's kinda the other way around now.

Nothing, I repeat - nothing, kept me from watching my show. I had a home with a brick fireplace, and I had snowshoes over the mantel, and all the accent colors were dark green and maroon. I had moose pictures, fishing creels and fired up the wood fireplace on rainy days. And yes, this was in Florida. Granted, I still had shells everywhere, and a large framed poster of the St. Augustine lighthouse, but they seemed to go with the decor. That television series seriously impacted my choice in furnishings and my burning desire to move to the Pacific Northwest.

So, of course, on my Seattle/Portland trip with my Mojito Sisters in 2016, I was riddled with anxiety and anticipation. I had wanted to visit the Pacific Northwest for well over 30 years...and just never had the opportunity. When we landed, I was all over the place, but only in my brain. My exterior was cool and collected. My brain was the Dallas Cloverleaf at rush hour.

When Tour Guide and Travel Agent DeeDee said..."Let's take a little side trip to Roslyn, WA," my brain didn't click. The name sounded familiar. But I wasn't sure why. The minute we drove into the town, I realized it was THE Northern Exposure film location (insert wild, internal screaming of epic proportions).

It was fun, looking at all the intact location sets: the DJ booth, where wise, wise John Corbett played Chris Stevens...the cafe, where so many quirky residents had their pie and coffee and of course, The Brick, where John Collum (who played Holling Vincoeur, and his wife, Shelly...played by Cynthia Geary) sang one of the most beautiful renditions of "Ava Maria" I have ever heard. It's interesting to note that Cynthia stayed in the Seattle area after the series cancelled, and bought a bar. And runs it.

We went into every store in town (which weren't many). There was an interesting antique shop, where the owner first told us about the upcoming reunion, and that it would be shot in Roslyn again. He was selling the entire boxed set of VHS "Northern Exposure" for something hundreds-of-dollars-outrageous to other people who flock to the area like Islam practitioners to Mecca.

As for me, I carried with me my photographs, which are my souvenirs of many places I go. It was a quaint town, which I'm sure would not have progressed, even if the show had not been a success. People there liked it that way. I sat on the bench outside one of the stores and watched people who lived there doing their daily things, going to the post office, buying hardware, talking with shop owners about the day they've had.

I relived in my brain all those little bits of the series I so enjoyed. You know, I'm such a Florida girl, I fear I could not have lived in the glorious Pacific Northwest for long, but you know, maybe.

P.S. I no longer have snowshoes, a fireplace or a mantel. I've traded it for seashells, an ocean nearly out the front door and a most wonderful tropical garden. But, I would be happy to visit Washington state once more. But, I think I've closed the door on Roslyn.

No comments: