Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Post Irma...A Floridian's Tale

So, it’s Day One of the aftermath of Hurricane Irma hitting the ENTIRE state of Florida. No electricity, and no Internet and no phone service. 

But, I do have a generator, but it’s not designed to run 24/7 to keep the fridge going, and in order to use any other appliance (like the very necessary coffee-maker), you have to plug and unplug. It’s my “art show generator,” bought specifically for night shows to keep lights on and to power up the phone and iPad. God forbid you should try and use it for a hair dryer. Those things suck amps.

My hubby is a man who is not good under pressure. He’s Chicken Little in a pair of oversize work boots and an ever-growing beer belly.  In order to prepare for Irma, he cut plywood from work, screwed it into the house over the windows with a LOT of screws, put all the furniture into a corner on the deck (which I had done earlier, but evidently did not do correctly) and got the generators running (he has a big powerhouse on his work truck). When Irma arrived in our area (East coast), she had calmed down a bit, after taking out all the islands off the southern coast of Florida. Her greed for land still wasn’t completely satiated by the time she hit the lower coast, so she pushed her away around Miami and Naples, after taking the Keys in as an appetizer. She was a Category 2, and waning, by the time the outer bands hit me.

It was still enough to deposit over 17 bags of leaves and other material, including one hapless rat, in the pool. Irma’s winds ripped apart my plumeria like they were lettuce leaves, uprooted my Key Lime and in general, caused yard havoc that will take me a week or more to clean up.

But, my little Florida Bungalow, built in 1956, held up like a champ. No loss of roof, no ripping off of doors, no broken windows. She didn’t shake, rattle or roll during the brunt of the storm, and although I am surrounded by the Atlantic Ocean on one side, and the Halifax River on the other, no storm surge or flooding. I am blessed. It’s not “Somewhere Off A1A”s first rodeo. She has seen Donna, Charlie, Andrew and Matthew.. And maybe a couple of other nasties in-between.

I’m sorry I missed my festival in Jekyll Island, Georgia, which was scheduled for September 15-17, and was cancelled because of the original path of Irma, which would have taken her right up my coastline and into the Sea Islands. After not working festivals for three months, with September being four, I sorely need the income. My creditors in Kansas care not about hurricanes. But, it is what it is.

I still feel blessed in so many ways, so be able to create art for a living, and that my house is intact, my dogs alive and somewhat happy, and my family are all safe. I’m still making art, albeit by one light on the work table, and brushing off gnats when they get stuck in the paper glue. Why doesn’t window screen deter gnats? No internet is making me realize how much I have come to depend on it, and no cell phone service at my house forces me to creep out of my cave to communicate.


It’s all good, people. It’s all good.

No comments: