Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Gosh, It's Been a Long Time.

Always an avid writer of stories, teller of tales and composer of ridiculous rants, I am shocked that the last time I contributed to my pitiful little blog was November, 2018, when I lost my doggie, Pearl.

I guess I just stopped. Parked my rants and my thoughts in the front yard and let them all rust.

Time to crank it all up again. Time to share all my brain goop with others, and hope that I get random responses and every now and then, a little justification for my need to share.

I've started really trying to be aware of my carbon footprint, at least as much as I can. I can't do the hybrid car thing, as I am madly in love with my Jeep. And hybrid cars won't pull my art trailer. I have to rely on my Big Gold Suburban for that. So yeah, I'm still one of those using fossil fuels and will until I freakin' die.

Unfortunately, solar is too expensive to install as well, and that's a shame, because, living in Florida, it's a perfect match. I hate relying on Florida Power and Light, and really hate paying an enormous electric bill every month. You see, as well as being a fossil-fuel guzzling car hoarder, I have an in-ground pool that demands its filter to run at least 6 out of 7 days, 8 hours a day because, again, I live in Florida. Thus the electric bill. It's an expensive chlorinated bathtub, which I float around in like a bloated manatee for about 30 days a year.

What I am doing now, other than sincerely trying to eat organic, is researching compostable plastics. I am an avid recycler anyway (living with an avid non-recycler, so it's a shit show every Sunday evening when the recycling goes out to the curb), so looking for things that I normally use and cannot recycle is becoming something I devote time to. A big change is using compostable trash bags made from recycled plastics. I decided to try an online service called Grove Collaborative. Primarily because my local health food stores want outrageous amounts of money for compostable plastics, and  Grove Collaborative does not (25 13-gallon bags for $4.95 is affordable). I also bought some sandwich bags, eco-friendly laundry detergent, eco-friendly household cleaner (much like Mrs. Meyers, my current five-year favorites) and a few other things were free (because this is a subscription service, which you can cancel or change at any time).  Besides, who wouldn't want cedar-rosemary scented stuff? I mean, really.

Starting to sound like an advertisement for Grove Collaborative, so I'll stop here. But, I'm happy it's affordable, and it's really hard to justify spending a gob more money on natural, eco-friendly products when you're living art festival to art festival, so I'll buy them as often as I can. And I'll continue to buy as much organic and free-range as I can, because it's just the right thing to do - for my body and my conscience.

No comments: